Sunday, December 8, 2013

no.15

I vaguely remember my 5th birthday party. I guess it wasn't all that cool. I think we did karaoke to the Freaky Friday soundtrack, but I'm not sure.

But I am sure that at one point you liked me. I'm positive that I have a picture of you wearing a skirt and I remember you didn't make fun of me for wearing a purple velvet Barbie dress.

I think I remember getting a huge tattoo of a rose on my chest during spring break. I was feeling rebellious and my friend got one too. I'm pretty sure they didn't send Mikayla and I home when we showed up to school the next day.

I think I sent your mom an e-mail about how much I was in love with you a year after I left, but I'm not sure that she let you read it. I distinctly remember the e-mail she sent back the day after, and how she completely avoided the subject of my admiration and asked me how my parents were doing.

I bet one time at Meg's house her mom got tipsy and let me sleep over. I'm pretty sure she drove us to the movie rental and got us Pirates of the Caribbean. How am I alive?

I remember the guy who had the bread truck. But I can see clearly in my mind the image of you opening the bakery door for me and offering me pastries left and right. I can see Rachel now winking at me from across the room every time she caught me staring at you.

I think I used to sit out on the boulder in the backyard and watch the cruise ships go by. I think I used to imagine the parties happening on them, and wondering if the elderly were doing a conga line by the pool. I'm pretty sure they were, but who can tell from that distance.

I don't remember if your dad had a mustache then or not, but I thought it was so attractive to see you after hockey practice in a sweaty white t-shirt with your pads hanging out to dry. Do you remember the face your mom pulled when she realized it was me at the door? Well I do, and it was hilarious.

All I know is that the memories of you are crystal clear.
All I know is that I don't like your profile pic, because there is one too many people in it. 
All I know is that I still have dibs on being the pink power ranger. 


All I know is that I never shouldn't have left Mainview Terrace,

Charles Darnell

3 comments:

  1. So nice, always. AND
    "and wondering if the elderly were doing a conga line by the pool."
    Oh my I am laughing, all by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with this, even though I don't understand most of it. It is still beautiful all the same.
    "All I know is that I still have dibs on being the pink power ranger."
    Such perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " I think we did karaoke to the Freaky Friday soundtrack, but I'm not sure."

    I absolutely loved this line and have no idea why. Like Mort said, I don't understand most of it, but it's gorgeous. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete