Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Love Affairs and Barbies and $200 Pumps

When I was fifteen I thought my father was having an affair with one of his clients.
He wasn't.
He was just spending extra time at the office at night, scrambling to find a way to pay the mortgage.
When I was seven I thought I was adopted.
I wasn't.
But even though my mother showed me the pictures of her holding me in the hospital, I secretly wanted it to be a lie, because I didn't wan't to look like daddy when I grew up.
When I was five my father played with my Barbie dolls and I for hours
But now he doesn't
Now he spends money he doesn't have on clothing for me because that is all he can give me.
I guess his time with me isn't worth more than $200 pumps.




Love you daddy,

Charles Darnell






4 comments:

  1. Sad day...this kinda broke my heart.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha I love this. Made me kinda sad but laugh too.
    "I didn't wan't to look like daddy when I grew up." haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is just so real, and so amazing. really the reality just fits, and just works.

    ReplyDelete