Friday, February 28, 2014

Dear Kyle

I don't know what to write anymore.

I've written all your prompts Kyle, I've done every single one.

I've written poems and letters and sonnets and pleas to God I've done it all.
I've written about my friends boyfriend, I've written about sex, I've written about abstract characters from a Russian novel.
I've written a testimony, I've written about the Black Swan, dammit I've written about the guy that makes my bubble tea on the weekends.
I've written about my abusive relationship, about my death anxiety, I've written about just wanting to be in your top 5 Kyle.
I've written about bricks and crayons and love and what it means to be indie for hell's sake.

I've written everything you wanted to hear and I've written everything that I needed to know about myself.

I've written about your daughter.

I've written about what you wrote about your daughter and how it makes me cry every time because my daddy would never have the stones to say it himself.

I've written about it all, Kyle.


And now that I'm on my own, sitting here in front of this retina display screen, I'm drawing a blank.


So please Kyle, give me one more prompt.
One more idea that will put me in the top 5 because in my head I'm still there.
Still there sitting in a desk and watching you teach us how to live life through words and expression.
Teaching us that it is ok to be yourself.

And though everyone else has got up and left the classroom I'm still in my seat.

Just waiting for one more assignment.


Tell me what to write Kyle,

because I'm standing here on this stage without a piece that will make the audiences' fingers bleed.

Without a piece for you to comment on.

Without a piece that will take me back to Paris.


Just give me a damn prompt.

Because I can't think of a single thing to say that will make you proud.

-Charles Darnell

5 comments:

  1. So good. I can't even find words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just give me a damn promt." HELL YES.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might just be my favorite thing you've ever written.
    That's so much pressure for Nelson to come up with a prompt :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've found it. This is fantastic.

    I'm sorry I wasn't there last night. I was planning on it. I had something written and everything.

    Keep 'em coming...

    ReplyDelete