Wednesday, February 26, 2014

It's February 26th but it feels like March 14th

I spent lunch with Lexi and Gabi today.
We talked with Nelson and for just a moment everything made sense.
I understood why she shaved her head.
I understood why she needs an IV.
I understood why I had been spending my lunches alone in the corner of the classroom.
I understood why nobody dressed up for Itzel when she was diagnosed.

No wait, I still don't understand that bit.








I don't think he knows this but that classroom that we sat in today saved my life.



I don't think he gets how that poem about his daughter made me sob.


I don't think he understands how much I wanted to run into his arms and weep when I mentioned her death anniversary today.





I've been crying all week.

And it's so hard to stuff it in when your friend is supposed to be 18 years old and not 6 feet underground.

She's laying in that white coffin and if I could I would take her place if she asked me to.
If she got tired of the dark and cold and wanted to feel the sunlight on her face I would dig my own grave and smile the whole way down and she could be happy.


And maybe she is happy.



But I sure as hell am not.



And even though this afternoon made sense I'm still confused about why she had to go so soon.

I'm still confused about how I didn't get the chance to say I love you.

To say goodbye.



"You are my sweetest downfall.
                             I loved you first."




With love to Gabi, Lexi, and Kyle,


Charles Darnell

12 comments:

  1. I felt like I sort of dismissed it when you made the comment about Itzel today. I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I didn't know her.

    Anyway. Thanks for the honesty. I feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no please don't feel sorry at all. I just assumed you knew her, but it's totally ok.

    But thanks for the compliment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me cry. Correction. I'm still crying. Simple. Beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is amazing. and I didn't even really know itzel. very powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so happy to read your post today Saeah. To know you cared and that you still do

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And it's so hard to stuff it in when your friend is supposed to be 18 years old and not 6 feet underground." Wow. Simple is that. Real emotion. I got a little teary eyed just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "She's laying in that white coffin and if I could I would take her place if she asked me to.
    If she got tired of the dark and cold and wanted to feel the sunlight on her face I would dig my own grave and smile the whole way down and she could be happy."

    Oh my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love you :) You have my number. And we can talk about deep shit like this post. You don't have to keep it all inside until you face the computer. You matter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think you'll ever understand how much I needed this.... Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I worship you Lexi Gabi and Nelson - Dasha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also this post was beautiful and so touching

    ReplyDelete