Thursday, June 26, 2014

A Letter to My New Therepist

Dear Theresa,

I know we haven't met yet, but I'll meet you in about two and a half hours and my mom told me to show you my blogs so you can learn more about me and keep tabs on my mental health. So I guess I'm writing you this letter as a precursor or a warning before you venture ahead into my writing to tell you that it's rough. I've been through a lot (as you'll find out tonight) and this blog is my only release. I've gone to therapist and I've tried to talk about my problems in private, but for some reason, I can never really tell him what is really happening to me. Yet, I can write poems and share them in front of hundreds of people and have no problem sharing the most private things about myself. 

I guess what I'm really trying to tell you is that I'm going to be a little annoying. I'm going to have a lot of trouble talking to you about my issues and my life out loud, but I'll have no problem writing about all of my darkest secrets and thoughts on this public blog. Probably because the people who read this blog are the people who write with me and feel a lot of the same things I do. These people have never judged me. These people are my friends. These people are my teachers. These people are strangers. I've shared myself with them and they understand me more than I understand myself sometimes. They are the people I trust the most.

And since you're here, you're one of them.

I trust you. I trust that you'll do your absolute best to understand me and help me. I trust that you'll be patient with me when I can't tell you everything in your office and I trust that you'll understand why. I trust that you'll read these words I've put together and take them to heart not only to help me, but maybe to help you too. We're all humans who live with pain and suffering and even those who are called upon to help those who are in the pits of hell need help to cope with it too. Life is hard on all of us, and I want you to know that I know that I won't be the only one in our relationship to be struggling. I hope you will be able to trust me as much as I trust you.

So thank you in advance for our session tonight. I'm sure I'll find it to be helpful.

See you at 8:40.

Charles Darnell

4 comments:

  1. It's funny how saying it out loud is so much harder than writing about it. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. All of us writing together because we feel similar things and aren't judging. SO REAL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great. I love you, you are writing what I'm thinking/feeling. We are all a family. A disturbed family. Realizing that we're actually all disturbed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like you if I was your therapist.

    ReplyDelete